Over the years, more cars has meant more space is needed for parking.
In 1929, there were only 26 car parking spaces in Stroud - 20 in Lansdown and 6 in London Road. The first car park opened in London Road in 1934.
By 1974, there were 951 car parking spaces. Since then, Multi-storey car parks have opened in Merrywalks and the Brunel Mall in London Road, to say nothing of the parking spaces provided by the supermarkets. For more information on the car parking facilities in Stroud visit www.stroud.gov.uk
The bypass and car parks have made it possible to return parts of Stroud Town Centre to pedestrians. Notably, the area of the upper High Street.