Looking closely at Isaac Taylor's map of 1800 the turnpike roads are shown in red. A traveller coming to Stroud from Gloucester would have left Gloucester on the Bristol Road, before turning left to come through Standish and Stonehouse.
At Cainscross, the road turned south to cross the new Stroudwater Canal and the River Frome at Dudbridge, before going up the hill to Rodborough.
At Rodborough, the turnpike road divided. To the right was the road through Minchinhampton to Cirencester and London. To the left, the road went downhill re-crossing the river and canal before entering the town of Stroud. Another turnpike road to the north connected Stroud with Painswick and Cheltenham.