Bowbridge Mill stands near to the meeting of the River Frome and the Lime brook. In 1608, the property included a water mill and four fulling mills, although by 1735, only one fulling mill was recorded. The mill was involved with the production of cloth until at least 1833, although from about 1780, it was principally used as a dyeworks.
In 1833, the mill produced broad superfine cloth, kerseymeres and Spanish stripes, and the dyeworks employed over 500 people. There were then four mill buildings on the site - an old mill altered in 1824, and three others built about 1780, 1795 and 1802.
The site continued to act as an important dyeworks until at least 1927, if not later. Most of the buildings were demolished in 1961-62 and in 1971, only two stone mill buildings were left. By 2002, an early 19th century dyehouse, converted into housing, was the sole survivor. Since 1980, a large number of new houses and flats have been built on the site.
From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society