|What:||Historic Mill Site|
|Where:||Located at the bottom of Brimscombe Hill, off the A419|
|Then:||Textile mills have been sited here since 1594. Most notable of all the owners were the Lewis family who patented the Rotary Shearing machine and introduced steam power in the 1830s|
|Now:||Today there are a number of small businesses on the site|
The earliest reference to this mill seems to date from 1594, and in 1608 it belonged to Richard Fowler, clothier. In 1648, the property was sold by Henry Fowler of Brimscombe House and consisted of a fulling mill, gig mill, grist mill and barn, and a rack close. In 1760, William Dallaway had two houses, fulling mills with three stocks, a gig mill, a knapping mill, racks and a blue dye house. His prosperity was such that he was appointed High Sheriff of the county in 1766.
By 1790, however, his son's debts forced the sale of the mill to Joseph Lewis, whose sons were known for their improvements in cloth-making machinery, notably the rotary shearing-machine which John Lewis patented in 1815. Steam engines were installed in the mill in 1833. In 1838, a power loom and 60 handlooms were recorded, although 29 of the handlooms were unemployed.
After William Lewis' death in 1843, the mill was sold with all its machinery to John Ferrabee of Thrupp Mill. He sold it in 1845 to Samuel Marling. Marling leased it at first. It later became part of the firm of Marling & Evans, who continued to make cloth here until the early 1930s.
In the 19th and 20th centuries, the mill was in two parts, the Upper and Lower Mills. When clothmaking ceased, a number of different businesses moved in. The Lower Mill was occupied chiefly by metalworking firms. The Upper Mill was first occupied by a knitting needle manufacturer, and later, by chemical companies who in 1971, employed about 30 people. Today, there are a number of small businesses on the site.
From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society