Today, it is hard to visualise a port facility so far inland, and indeed Brimscombe Port no longer exists, having been filled in early in the 20th century. However, at one time Brimscombe Port was the focal point of the Thames & Severn Canal. Severn trows could come all the way up the Stroudwater Canal to Brimscombe, but then narrower boats were needed to go through the Sapperton Tunnel to the River Thames, and the Port was the place where the cargoes were moved from one to the other. The Port was also the headquarters of the Canal Company, who had their offices here.
The canal was opened in 1789 and the last loaded boat went through to the Thames in 1911. The canal was not formally abandoned until 1927, and the Stroudwater Navigation Co. kept the canal opened to Brimscombe until 1933. After that, however, the port basin was filled in, and various companies, including a foundry, carried on business on the site. In 2002, the port area was purchased by British Waterways, who plan to reopen the canal after restoration in the coming years.
From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society