Cainscross is first mentioned in 1550. Despite the opening of the canal in 1779, it did not really start to develop until the 19th century. The toll house and the present Cainscross Road were both built in 1825. By 1856, the town had several offices, 12 shops, a library, a bank and three inns.
The earliest buildings in Cashes Green were Springfield Terrace built in 1882. Further housing was added in the late 19th century and large house estates added in the 20th century. A brick Primitive Methodist Chapel was built in 1901.
There is more on the SLHS website about Cainscross and Ebley