The Cainscross and Ebley Co-operative Society was established in 1863, following the lead of the Rochdale pioneers in 1844. The Co-op offered good food and clothing to members. Members were allowed one vote at Society meetings and received a dividend payment which was a share of the profits based on the amount of goods they had purchased. The "Co-op divi" became an important part of family budgets.
The original Co-op building was built opposite the White Horse Inn by John Bucknall of Dudbridge in 1868-69 and extended in 1888-89, by William Clissold. In 1913, to celebrate fifty years of trading, the Society extended the store and renamed it "Jubilee House". The building was adorned with suitable Socialist inscriptions including "Labour and Wait" and "Unity is Strength".
The Co-op (now part of the Oxford and Gloucester Co-operative Society) is still in the area, but has moved round the corner to meet the needs of the modern shopper. It is still run on the principle of one member, one vote. Being part of a larger group gives greater buying power, essential for modern retailing, although local control is reduced. At one time the co-op replaced its dividend with trading stamps, but it has reinvented the dividend in the form of a reward card.