Tricorn House Cainscross & Ebley Co-op Cainscross Toll House Cainscross Brewery St Matthew's Church Fire & Ambulance Stations Cainscross House Marling School Stroud High School for Girls Cashes Green Hospital The Vicarage
HB Cainscross Toll House by kind permission of Howard Beard
What: Historic Building (1825)
Where: Built at the junction with the road to Dudbridge
Then: In 1734, a mob destroyed a toll barrier at Caincross.  In 1794, a local farmer was fined £10 for assaulting the toll collector and non-payment of the toll
Now: A private house having been bought and converted by the Stroud Preservation Trust in 1987

Cainscross toll house was built in 1825, when the new road to Stroud was laid out, at the junction with the road to Dudbridge, which had been turnpiked in 1780. Toll charges were very unpopular and in 1734, a mob attacked and destroyed a toll barrier at Cainscross. Another incident occurred in 1794, when a local farmer was fined £10 for assaulting the toll collector and non-payment of the toll.

By 1987, the toll house was empty and decaying, and the Stroud Preservation Trust purchased it and converted it to a private house.

From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society