Dudbridge is found at the meeting point of four parishes - those of Rodborough, Stroud, Stonehouse and Kings Stanley. Its history is linked to the River Frome, with the earliest record of a mill in 1235. Amongst the many mills that have served Dudbridge, there is a tradition of manufacturing industries.
The name of Dudbridge no doubt comes from its first bridge, which originally crossed the River Frome as part of the historic route from Bath to Gloucester. When the Stroudwater Canal opened in 1779, a wharf was constructed on the canal at Dudbridge. Later, in 1886, it had its own railway station on the Stonehouse-Nailsworth line. This line later became the basis for the construction of the Ebley Bypass.