Ebley Mill Ebley Chapel Ebley House Ebley Court Oil Mill Bridge House
HB Ebley Court by kind permission of Howard Beard
What: Historic House Site
Where: On Westward Road, Cainscross side of the Road to Ebley Mill
Then: The 1587 house, built by Ebley Mill tenant, Thomas Bennet, may have stood on the same site as 'Skinner's Place' a house lived in by the tenant of Ebley Mill in 1405. At the end of the 19th century, Ebley Court was the home of W Burton Stewart, the unsuccessful Stroud Tory candidate. It eventually became a hotel but was demolished after a fire in the 1960s
Now: During the 1990s, the site was occupied by a vehicle hire company. Now developed as housing

The earliest part of the house to be recorded was built in 1587, by a clothier called Thomas Bennet who was the tenant of Ebley Mill. It may have stood on the same site as an earlier house called Skinner's Place which was lived in by the tenant of Ebley Mill in 1405. It was a gabled two-storey building of coursed rubble, partly faced in rough-cast. The building of 1587 was much altered in the mid 19th century in the Tudor style.

At the end of the 19th century, Ebley Court was the home of W. Burton Stewart, the unsuccessful Conservative candidate for the Stroud constituency in 1906. It eventually became a hotel, but was demolished after a fire in the late 1960s.

From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society