|What:||Medieval Farmhouse and estate|
|Where:||Near to Lypiatt Park|
|Then:||Originally owned by the Ferris family prior to its absorption into the Lypiatt Park estate during the 17th century. It regained independence after the Park sale in 1919.
The farmhouse opposite the estate has been known as both Ferris Court and Home Farm. It dates from the 17th century and had a larger wing added in the 19th century
|Now:||By the 1980s, Ferris Court was in serious disrepair and repeated applications were made for its demolition. These were fiercely opposed and finally refused. The house has since been restored|
The farm called Ferris Court takes its name from the family which owned it in the mid 14th century, but it was absorbed into the Lypiatt Park estate owned by the Stephens family and their successors through a series of transactions between 1669 and the late 19th century. After the sale of the Lypiatt Park estate in 1919, Ferris Court was acquired by the Cullimore family.
Ferris Court comprises a single long stone range dating from at least the 17th century, which forms one side of a courtyard. The other sides are formed by a substantial stone barn, a two-storey granary, and a small cowshed which has the remains of an arcade of cylindrical pillars. The barn is of late medieval date and retains shallow buttresses and a roof with upper crucks.
On the opposite side of the road is a later house, which has itself been called Ferris Court, or alternatively Home Farm. It comprises a small 17th century range to which a larger wing was added in a similar style in the 19th century.
The medieval Ferris Court was in serious disrepair by the 1980s, when the owner made repeated applications for permission to demolish it. After determined opposition by local conservation groups and the District Council, this was finally refused. The house continues to fall into disrepair.