Upfield is a large Gothic house built in the early 19th century, possibly to the design of William Franklin. The south front is centred on a doorway set back in a curved recess, with curved doors. The Tudor Gothic wings may be slightly later than the centre. In the centre of the house is an elliptical staircase, lit by a dome.
Charles Stanton, the owner of Field Place, preferred this house and lived here until his death in 1863. In 1874, a Norman lintel stone was installed above the rear door; this may have come from the medieval chapel at Paganhill.
The house was used as a boys preparatory school for many years, but this closed in 2001. The house has been converted into private housing and the grounds built over.