The original house on this site dated back to at least the 17th century, since it contained a chimneypiece dated 1699. It was remodelled in the Tudor style in the 19th century, probably for John Biddell of Stratford Mill (d.1863). In 1869, his son, Sidney Biddell, sold the house to Miss R.S. Isacke, the headmistress of a school at Roxborough House, Nelson Street, Stroud. She moved the school to Stratford Abbey and renamed it Stratford Abbey College.
In 1955, the school closed and the house was sold to Messrs. Townsend. It was used for various activities, including making cartoon films by Anson Dyer. In 1961, the house was demolished and the site was used as a car park for Townsends. It is now the site of the Tesco petrol station.