The Cemetery The Castle Union Workhouse General Hospital Holy Trinity Church St Alban's Church Black Boy School Cotswold Playhouse Wesley Chapel/Salvation Army Old Meeting Chapel
GRO Cotswold Playhouse IMG 1341
What: Historic building c1836
Where: Parliament Street
Then: The Cotswold Players Company was formed in 1911. The Playhouse theatre was opened in 1957 in a converted chapel, originally built by the Primitive Methodists
Now: The Playhouse is still operational

The Cotswold Players company was formed in Stroud in 1911, and converted a former chapel in Parliament Street as the Playhouse Theatre in 1957. The first production in the new theatre was A Midsummer's Night's Dream.

The chapel was built in 1836 by the Primitive Methodists, who by 1825, were meeting in Stroud and in 1851, had a congregation of around 200. In 1932, the Primitive Methodists and the Wesleyan Methodists united to form Stroud Methodist Church, after which, the building was increasingly surplus to requirements.

 From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society