Stroud Hospital was built on an acre of land given by the local property developer, William Cowle. The original building (opened 1875) was designed by Medland & Sons of Gloucester and erected by Albert Estcourt, the leading Gloucester building contractor. It was extended in the same style in 1890. The Peace Memorial Wing was added by W.B. Wood in 1919-20, and the neo-Georgian Physiotherapy Wing facing Bowbridge Lane was built in 1927-28, by A. Linton Iredale. The Maternity Hospital on the south side of Bowbridge Lane was built in 1953.
Until the creation of the National Health Service in 1948, the hospital was funded by subscriptions, legacies, charity concerts and annual Hospital Sundays. It has always been dear to the hearts of Stroud people.