Stroud's second Anglican church was begun on 15 October 1839, when William Stanton of The Thrupp laid the foundation stone. The church was designed by Thomas Foster of Bristol in an early Gothic style, and has been relatively little changed. It was restored in 1882-83, by W.H.C. Fisher, who also built the brick parish rooms in Field Road in 1884.
It was a chapel of ease to St. Laurence's until 1879, when a parish was assigned that stretched from Stroud Hill to Thrupp.
The church was partly funded by the Church Building Commissioners, who were established by an Act of Parliament to build new churches in industrial areas where there were insufficient Church of England buildings to accommodate the population. It was hoped that if the Anglican church provided enough pews, fewer people would fail to attend church.
Further money was provided by the Incorporated Society for Building and Enlarging Churches, on the condition that 700 free sittings should be provided. (Often when new churches were built, the pews were rented out to local residents to provide income to the parish). The rest of the cost was raised by private subscription.