|What:||Neo-classical church building built in 1837|
|Then:||A fine example of church building for this period, it was built for the number of growing worshipers at the Old Meeting in Chapel Street|
|Now:||The Church remains in use|
The Bedford Street chapel was designed by Charles Baker of Painswick, and was built in 1835-37. It has an imposing Classical street front, and a circular porch at one corner which gives access to the Sunday School rooms on the ground floor and the chapel itself above. In 1851, the original west gallery of chapel was extended around all four sides of the building.
It was built to accommodate some of the growing number of worshippers at the Old Meeting in Chapel St.
In 1971, declining attendances caused the two congregations to merge, and the Old Meeting was closed and later demolished. The Bedford Street Chapel remains in use.