St Laurence's Church Old Town Hall The Shambles The Cross Subscription Rooms Bedford Street Congregational Chapel Sims' Clock Police Station School of Science & Art Lansdown Brickrow Railway Station Stroud House Royal George Hotel Imperial Hotel British School
HB The Cross cir 1900 by kind permission of Howard Beard
What: Historic town site
Where: At the top of the High Street where the road forks to Bisley (Hill Street) and Chalford (Nelson Street)
Then: At one time, this was a regular hive of communal activity with the market, the town well and pump and later, stocks. (In 1866, the well was converted into a drinking fountain with four carved dolphins, one of which can still be seen at Stroud Museum)
Now: In true 'Stroudie' style, in the 1960s, the Cross was protected from being developed into a bypass road by protestors. Today, a wall has been built across the top of the High street and a sculpture of a ram by local artist Jamie Vans has been placed there

The Cross is where the High Street divided into two roads, one leading to Bisley (Hill St.) and the other to Chalford (Nelson St.).

In the 1700s, there was a well and pump at the Cross. In 1866, this was converted into a drinking fountain with four sculptured dolphins. The fountain was demolished by an Army vehicle in the 1940s, but one of the carved dolphins is in Stroud Museum.

In the 1960s, many of the small alleys and yards around the Cross were demolished and a decade later much of the area was cleared to make way for a planned bypass road. After considerable protest by Stroud residents, only Cornhill was built.

There is now a wall which divides the area of the cross from the High St. In 1987, a sculpture of a ram by local artist Jamie Vans was placed there.

From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society