The old Library in Lansdown was built in 1873, to house the Stroud Grammar School, founded two years earlier by the Rev. A.J. Edmond, curate at the parish church. In 1878, the school closed, only to reopen shortly afterwards as the Borough School, forerunner of Marling School.
In 1888, the building was bought by the local clothier, J. Strachan, who gave it to the town as a free library. In 1967-68, a new library was built by the County Council on the site of the former vicarage. The old library is now used as an infants' school and a Spirtualist church.
Next to the old library is the Temperance Hall, built in 1879. The Borough School occupied the building between 1888 and 1891. After it closed, the Misses Howard established Stroud High School for Girls here. After the High School moved to Beard's Lane, the building became the Stroud Christian Scientist Church. The Cowle Museum’s industrial displays moved to Lansdown Hall from 1986 to 1993. Later it was purchased by Stroud Commonwealth and became "The Space". It is now Lansdown Hall and Gallery - a community centre owned by Stroud Town Council
31-32 Lansdown was built as a synogogue to serve Stroud's Jewish community. It was designed by J.P. Lofthouse, 1889.
More information - SLHS website Stroud Library