Stroud's railway station was opened in 1845. It was built to the designs of Isambard Kingdom Brunel, as was the nearby Goods Shed, which is now a listed building.
In 1914, the station was rebuilt, and the timber platform awnings were added.
Construction of the railway involved the demolition of two houses at the bottom of Rowcroft and the lowering of the road so that traffic could get under the railway bridge. Bath Place was cut off from the town centre, and thereafter failed to develop as a residential area.
From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society