The Subscription Rooms were built in 1833-34 to the designs of George Basevi, although the local architect Charles Baker supervised the work. The cost of £2,500 was raised by public subscription (hence the name). The projecting porch and the balcony above it, were added in 1868-69, and a brick extension at the back was put up in 1925.
The large upper floor has been used from the start for meetings, concerts, dances etc., and the balcony has been used for many public addresses announcing the results of parliamentary elections.
In 1857, a public reading room was opened on the ground floor. This space is now the Tourist Information Centre.
The Subscription Rooms were completely refurbished in 2000
More information - SLHS website Sub Rooms