Gas came to Stroud in 1833, when Thomas and Samuel Marling and John Ferrabee got together with a Leeds gas engineer, William Stears, to make gas on a site near Fromehall Mill. The company was given a contract to light the streets of Stroud in the same year and also laid on supplies to mills and shops in the parish.
In 1858, it was incorporated as the Stroud Gas Light & Coke Co. and in 1864, it was authorised to enlarge its works and extend its area of supply. In 1936, the company bought the Brimscombe & Chalford Gas Co. (formed in 1822).
In 1863, land adjacent to the gas works was developed as a sewage works by the Local Board of Health.
Wicliffe Motor Co closed in 2007
From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society