The Hill Paul building near the railway station in Cheapside has been at the centre of a recent conservation battle.
It was built in 1898 for Williamson Tratt & Co., who had established a wholesale clothing business in Stroud in 1879. It seems to have been built to a design provided by Henry A. Cheers of Teddington (Middlesex) as early as 1886.
In 1902, Williamson Tratt & Co went into liquidation, and another firm of clothing manufacturers, Hill Paul & Co., took over the factory. The business continued successfully for many years, and in 1971, still employed 110 people.
Production finished in 1989 and the building was purchased by a property developer for conversion into flats. However, nothing happened and the building gradually became unsafe.
In 2000, it was proposed to demolish it. A number of Stroud people formed a barricade to stop the demolition team from moving in, and the Hill Paul Regeneration Group was formed. The Group was successful in producing a change of heart, and the building has now been restored and converted into luxury apartments.
More information: SLHS website - Hill Paul
From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society