The origins of Stroud College started in the School of Art in 1860. The Technical College, as it was then known, spread with various buildings around the town. Not until the 1950's, did it re-locate, en mass, to the Stratford Road site that it now occupies.
Similarly, Brimscombe Polytechnic, which was located in the old Canal Company building at Brimscombe Port, had 453 students in the 1890s. In 1949, it was replaced by Brimscombe County Secondary School, which later moved to Eastcombe.