In the late 1800s, both public amenities were established in Lansdown. The library was started in 1888, and then became part of the County Councils Library in 1920. In 1968, a new library was built next to the old library building.
The Museum was founded in 1899 with a bequest from William Cowle. Originally part of the School of Science and Art, the Museum outgrew its premises and relocated to Stratford Park.
From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society