From 1894, the areas outside the control of Stroud Urban District Council became the responsibility of Stroud Rural District Council.
In 1974, as part of a general reorganisation of local government, both the Urban and Rural District Councils were abolished and replaced by Stroud District Council. Stroud District Council served/serves a much wider area, stretching from the River Severn to the upper Frome valley.
Stroud District Council inherited the functions of its predecessors, but also gained some new responsibilities. Most notably, planning and development control.