Cloth has been made at Lodgemore, Stroud, from as early as the 1400s. Today, WSP Textiles continues to make a highly specialised range of cloth products including tennis balls, snooker and pool tables and casino tables. These high quality products are used in professional tennis and snooker championships such as Wimbledon and World Snooker tournaments.
A mill at Lodgemore is recorded as belonging to the Spillman family in the 1400s. In 1608, two fulling mills are recorded in a dispute over water rights. The upper mill was known as Merrets Mill worked by Thomas Merret, a tucker (or fuller) and then by Richard Merret and owned by Richard Payne. The lower mill known as Nether Latemores Mill, was owned by Richard Browning.
By 1749, Merrets and Nether Latemore mills were referred to as Lodgemore Mill. 1749, Richard Cooke mortgaged the mill which included stocks with fulling mills with adjacent press house and dyehouse. The mill passes to his son Richard Cooke. In 1794, Richard, Henry and John Cooke were in possession of the mill which was occupied by John Jones. The Cookes got into financial difficulties and the mill passed to William Whitehead.