|What:||Purpose built college|
|Where:||On the Stratford Road|
|Then:||The roots of this establishment began in Lansdown in the Stroud School of Science and Art, in the late 1800s. The Lansdown building proved too small, with the Technical College occupying rooms in eight different buildings around the town|
In 1954 a new technical college opened in Stratford Road. In 1988 it was renamed Stroud College, and offers further educational opportunities for all those living in the Stroud District.
A new building replaced the 1950s college in 2007, and houses were built on the old site
It merged with Filton college in 2012 and became South Gloucestershire and Stroud College
The Stroud and District Technical College was officially opened on 30 September 1954, by Florence Horsbrugh, Minister of Education.
The Technical College had its origins in the Stroud School of Science and Art established in 1860, which was located in Lansdown from 1898. In due course, the Lansdown building proved far too small, and the Technical College eventually occupied rooms in eight different buildings aound the town. It was therefore decided to build a new college on Stratford Road in 1951. The first phase including the engineering block was opened in 1953 and the large 3 storey block in 1954
The college is now known as South Gloucestershire and Stroud College and it still offers further education opportunities for all those living in the Stroud District