The growth and industrial development of Stroud naturally led to some over crowding and squalor. A number of epidemics soon revealed the need to attend to public health and part of this realisation, was the value given to parks and public open spaces for promoting good health, exercise and spiritual refreshment.
In 1900, Sir John Dorrington gave the Daisy Bank recreation grounds in Horns Road, covering 2 acres, to the Urban District Council.
Park Gardens in Uplands, was given to the town by Sidney Park in 1920 and Bank Gardens in 1930, by Ernest Winterbotham.
In 1936, the Council bought a 56-acre park and Stratford Park became a public park with swimming pool and tennis courts.
Now redeveloped with a Leisure Centre, the Park is host to the annually celebrated Stroud Show and home to the District's Museum appropriately named "Museum In The Park".
From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society