Thrupp House The Thrupp Griffin's Mill Stafford's Mill Brimscombe Court Ham Mill Phoenix Iron Works
GRO Aerial photograph of Thrupp House
What: Historic estate
Where: On the old road to Chalford beyond Gunhouse Lane
Then: The house was at the centre of an estate of 163 acres when it passed to Elizabeth Clutterbuck in 1689
Now: Although the house stayed in the family through to the 1900s, it was later converted into flats

When the Nether Lypiatt estate was divided between co-heiresses in 1689, Thrupp House was the centre of an estate of about 163 acres allotted to Elizabeth Clutterbuck. On the death of William Clutterbuck in 1856, it passed to his nephew, William Clutterbuck Chambers, and it remained in the hands of the family as late as 1939.

Little is known about the fairly large house that existed on the site by the late 17th century, but it was rebuilt in Tudor Gothic style in the late 19th century and converted to flats in the mid 20th century.

From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society