Rodborough Fort was originally called Fort George. It was built on an enclosure taken out of Rodborough Common by George Hawker in about 1761, not as a country house but as an inhabited folly. It was a single-storey five bay Gothic building, with a canted bay in the middle and a bastion on which stood a battery of cannon.
The fort was owned by a succession of prominent Stroud businessmen, including (1802-42) Joseph Grazebrook, before being bought in 1868 by Alexander Halcombe. He employed the Gloucester architect, A.W. Maberly, to rebuild it in 1869-74, as a rock-faced battlemented Tudor house with a tower over the entrance. Although Maberly retained castellations to justify its name, the house lost its pretty, whimsical air at this time. The house is surrounded by a quasi-defensive wall with gateways.