The 1840's marked the beginning of several new schools in Stroud. In Parliament Street, there was a Primary school. The school struggled with too many children, hence a new infants school and a National school for girls was built in Castle Street. The National School was known as The Black Boy School. This is due to the School building clock - The Black Boy Jack Clock, which has the figure of a Negro striking a bell, on the hour. The extensive Log Books of the school reveal some wonderful insights into school life:
'Scripture examination held 18th June 1891. The thanksgiving song of David portioned out to fifty-one verses forming the 22nd Chapter of the 2nd Samuel, and the Ten Commandments were repeated by the third and fourth Standards with commendable precision.'
|From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society|