In 1848, the Public Health Act created Local Boards of Health who had wider powers than the Improvement Commissions. For example, in 1868 the Board maintained a small permanent fire brigade.
However, in 1894 following the Local Government Act of 1888, the Local Board of Health was replaced by the Urban District Council.
The Urban District Council and the Local Board of Health before them found their powers grew and developed over time. From 1890, they became responsible for the control of building standards. Many post-1890 building schemes are well documented as a result.
Perhaps the Urban District Council's most important role was to build houses and accommodation for the working classes. Between 1918 and 1978, thousands of council houses were built.