Efforts to control Stroud's waste and sewerage were needed as the town started to grow. The Improvement Commissioners made plans for laying sewers in 1825. In 1863, the Local Board of Health built a system for drainage and sewerage with a waste treatment plant next to the gas works at Fromehall.
Throughout the next century, the Urban District Council continued work to extend mains sewerage throughout the town. In 1974, this responsibility was transferred to the Severn-Trent Water Authority.