Brimscombe was in origin a small hamlet in the parish of Minchinhampton, on the south side of the Frome Valley.
The expansion of Brimscombe came as a result of three events. Firstly, the establishment of mills from the 16th century onwards. Secondly, the building of Brimscombe Port as HQ of the Thames and Severn Canal in 1789 and lastly, the building of the main London Road in 1814.
From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society