The Roman Catholic Church of the Immaculate Conception was built by Charles A. Buckler of Oxford, in 1856-57.
The adjoining former Dominican Convent of St. Rose of Lima, was first established in a house in London Road in 1850, through the generosity of Mrs Sandys.
The Convent soon out grew the house so land was bought next to the church at Beeches Green as a new site. The main buildings were erected in stages between 1867 and 1885, to designs by the local architect Benjamin Bucknell, who built Woodchester Mansion.
The convent chapel was added in 1888-94, again to designs by Bucknell, who was by then living in Algiers.
The Rosary Roman Catholic Primary School overlooking Merrywalks was built in 1967 to designs by Peter Falconer and is a popular primary school.