Originally called Coopers Hill, the house was seriously damaged by fire in 1905, shortly after being bought by Mr. J.H. Lloyd, a retired wine and spirits merchant from Newport, Monmouthshire.
It later became a private hotel before being converted to a school.
St Rose's special school opened in 1912 at Badbrook House, but moved to Stratford Lawn in 1955. An additional wing was opened in 1957 and following further enlargements it now caters for around 70 pupils aged between 2 and 18, taught by the sisters of St Rose's.