The Fire & Ambulance stations were opened in 1964, by the Chairman of the County Council, Col. G.P. Shakerley. The station was built as the control headquarters for the County Ambulance Service and cost £18,000.
The first record of an ambulance service in Stroud was in 1912, when the Town Council turned down an offer of a horse-drawn ambulance in favour of the existing hand-drawn ambulance. After World War One, Stroud had an ex-Army ambulance which was kept in the Shambles, after the voluntary Fire Brigade had moved to a new station in Lansdown.
The fire station in Paganhill was built in 1963. A giant crane was used to lower into position the all-steel drill tower, which is more than 50 feet high. This was the first time in the UK that a drill tower had been built in one piece.