The Old Meeting chapel was the earliest nonconformist chapel in Stroud. It was built about 1710, for a Congregationalist meeting which had formerly worshipped in a barn in Silver Street. In 1844, S.S. Marling paid for the front of the chapel to be rebuilt in the neo-Norman style.
The size of the congregation fluctuated in the 18th century, but it grew rapidly in the early 19th century, under the active ministry of John Burder. In 1835-37, the Bedford Street Chapel was built as a daughter church. In 1970, the two were reunited and the Old Meeting was closed.
When the chapel was demolished in 1977, a plea was made to preserve the memorial plates inside, because some of the most prominent families associated with Stroud worshipped here: the Tanners, Okeys, Paines, Viners, Bloxsomes and Henry Wyatt of Farmhill.