St. Alban's church was the idea of Canon Henry Proctor, who came to Stroud as vicar in 1912. He was concerned about the large and growing population on Stroud Hill who had no contact with organised religion.
In 1913, the St. Laurence's Church Council set up a committee to raise money for a new church as a memorial to Arthur Stanton. Stanton was a native of Stroud who became one of the most famous Anglican clergymen in the country during his fifty years as vicar of St. Alban's Church, Holborn in London. He retired to Stroud and died at Upfield in March 1913.
The site chosen was that of the former parish workhouse, built in 1725, parts of which were incorporated in the church. The foundation stone was laid by his sister Rose on 26 June 1915, and the completed building was dedicated on St. Alban's Day, 17 June 1916.
The church was designed by Thomas Falconer and is a small Byzantine-style stone building with a domed apse and pantiled roof. The interior is very simple and un-English, and has fittings designed by Thomas and Peter Falconer and by Henry Payne. The Wesley Rooms to the north, were added by Peter Meers in 1982-83. Today, the church is shared between the Methodists and the Anglicans.