Hawthorn Cottage was built around 1800, soon after the new Slad Road was opened. In the 1930s, it became the Hawthorns School, where Ethel and Winnie Tayloe taught between ten and twenty children aged 5-8 in a very dark room at the back of the house. The sisters closed the school during the war.
In the 1980s and 1990s, the building became first the Ivy Restaurant and then, under different owners, the Oak Restaurant. It is now a private house.
From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society