The Grove/Hawkwood College Salmons Spring Mill & Brewery All Saints Church New Mills The Birches The Granges All Saints Centre Park Gardens Uplands House Old Police Station Little & Slad Mills Hawthorn Cottage
What: Historical site
Where: On the north side of Slad Road
Then: Built in the 1800s, this house had a number of wealthy owners until the 20th century, when it became a Doctors' Surgery
Now: In 1960, the house fell into disrepair and was later demolished. New houses have been built on the site by Uplands Co-housing Development

Uplands House dated from the 17th century and belonged to the Hogg family until 1859. In 1866, it was bought by John Sutton, a cloth merchant, who rebuilt it.

During the early 20th century, the house became a doctor's surgery, occupied successively by H.W. Wheatley, Dr. C.N. Royle and Dr. Lamb, who moved to Slad Road and then Brookfield House, Lansdown, in the 1960s. The house then fell into disrepair, was vandalised, and finally destroyed by arson.

From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society