The old police station at Badbrook started life as a private house called Willow House built for Robert Hughes in around 1800. It was later the home of the Rev. John Williams, who preached a sermon against duelling. Originally, the front door was approached by a flight of eight or nine steps, but the road level has been changed and these are no longer needed.
Willow House was converted into a police station in 1858, by James Medland, and enlarged at the rear by him in 1885-86. The Petty Sessional Court (magistrates' court) next door, with its tall late 17th century-style windows, was added in 1908 by Robert Philips.
The house ceased to be used as a police station and magistrates' court in 1969, when the present buildings were built in Parliament Street.
From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society