Little Mill and Slad Mill stood immediately next to one another on the Slad Brook. Little Mill was the original building. In 1677, Little Mill included two fulling mills and one gig mill. By 1733, there was also a corn mill on the site. Cloth was made here until 1856, when it briefly became a saw mill. From 1863 until the 20th century, it was a corn mill. It was later demolished and houses have been built on the site.
Slad Mill was built in 1890, and in 1929, part of the building was occupied by a clothing factory which made mens suits marked under the name Houndbrand. In 1937, Henry Baughan established an engineering business here. The firm also made motor cycles and cars at a factory in Lower Street and later specialised in extrusion technology. Today, Slad Mill has been converted into flats.
From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society