St Laurence's Church Old Town Hall The Shambles The Cross Subscription Rooms Bedford Street Congregational Chapel Sims' Clock Police Station School of Science & Art Lansdown Brickrow Railway Station Stroud House Royal George Hotel Imperial Hotel British School
GRO site of Royal George Hotel IMG 1633
What: Historical building (1801)
Where: Junction of King Street and George Street
Then: Stroud's leading coaching Inn during the coaching age
Now: For many years, Hepworths (men's clothing store) occupied the site. The upper floor was a snooker hall ( now a coffee shop) and the ground floor has been occupied by a variety of shops over recent years

The Royal George Hotel stood at the junction of King St. with George St. It was built (as the Kings Arms) in 1801, on land belonging to Thomas Gardner. In 1818, it was bought by Thomas Wall, who had previously owned the George Inn in Swan Lane. He changed the name to the Royal George, a sign that was retained until 1916. During the coaching age, the Royal George was Stroud's leading inn.

From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society