St Laurence's Church Old Town Hall The Shambles The Cross Subscription Rooms Bedford Street Congregational Chapel Sims' Clock Police Station School of Science & Art Lansdown Brickrow Railway Station Stroud House Royal George Hotel Imperial Hotel British School
GRO School of Art IMG 1413
What: Ornate School building built in 1890-99
Where: GL5 1BD   Lansdown
Then: Stroud's School of Science and Art
Now: Houses many artistic and musical enterprises

The School of Science & Art was built in 1890-99, to designs by J.P. Seddon and finished more cheaply by the local architect, W.H.C. Fisher. It is a splendid, iron-framed, very elaborate building in the Gothic style. Between the two floors is a band of foliage containing busts of Victorian scientists and artists: Faraday, Huxley, and Kelvin for science; Barry, Rossetti, Leighton and Turner for the arts. The elaborate front shows a carved facade of famous Victorian scientists and artists, along with Queen Victoria herself and the railway engine.

The School was effectively a special secondary school until the new boys’ Technical School opened at Downfield in 1909, when it became a School of Art.

Stroud Museum was set up there in 1930. The Museum moved to Stratford Park in 2001, but the building still houses some of its collection.

From January 2016, this website is managed by Stroud Local History Society

Revised 2018 EMW