Stroud House was built in 1894-96 as the Holloway Institute, a Conservative club. It was named after George Holloway, MP for Stroud in 1886-92, whose statue is on the side of the building facing Rowcroft. It is a three-storey stone building with curved corners.
The conservative club later moved to George St. and is now in London Road.
Part of the ground floor was occupied by the Stroud House Gallery, then a music shop, and the rest of the building houses an employment agency and stockbrokers.